• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TinKat

Maine

Not sure if I chose the correct forum as this is a harassment question stemming from an unlawful business case. A year ago my town took me to court claiming my husband was running a repossession of vehicles business out of our home. We lost the case. Part of the judgement was if there was ever any repossessed vehicles on our property we would instantly be fined $50,000.

I sold a truck to a friend of mine for $1800 in October of this past year. They gave us $600 up front and were going to pay the rest when taxes came in. Due to other personal situations on their part they were unable to pay the balance of the money owed on it so they told me to come take it back to re-sell. That vehicle has been in my driveway as of a week today.

My friends received a call yesterday from the town that I live in. They asked if this vehicle in my yard belonged to them, if it was repossessed, if it was a private sale and WHY it was back at my house.

Kudos to them for trying to score a cool 50 grand from me. Unfortunately for them they were mistaken. I have a neighbor across the street from me that has been up in all my business since I moved here 6 years ago. I have no doubt he made the call to investigate said truck in the driveway. Here are my criteria for harassment and I would appreciate any of your feedback.

The plates were on the vehicle for 24hrs then returned to my friends. Is it lawful for the town to run plates just to see who's car is in who's driveway and why?

Did they have the right to call my friends and invade their privacy and ask personal information? I'm sure she loved being asked to explain her financial shortcomings. They asked if my husband was still doing repossessions as well. She told them no, which is the truth.

Whenever I have an overnight guest are they allowed to call them to find out why they were at my house?

I guess I need to close-circuit my yard in case someone (neighbor) came onto my property to get the VIN to trace the owner.

IF this WERE a true repossession in the business sense that they are trying to catch me in, there would have been serious repercussions there too. All repos are strictly confidential as far as the debtors identity. This would have been breeched had they called up a true debtor. Not to mention some people who get their vehicles repo'd go completely certifiable. They could have greatly put my family, my home and the bank collateral (vehicle) in danger.

There was no contact with either myself or my husband from the town. No knock on the door, no letter, no sheriff to investigate a possible breach of a court order, just sneaky violation of the privacy of my friends. Do I have any recourse here?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">