• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hi-Lo/Forklift License?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

break_bread

Michigan.

I am trying to get my Forklift situation legit. I have a 6,000 max-propane Forklift. Now ive heard that everyone who operates the Fork has to be licensed, ive heard that no one has too (just be trained), and also that only one employee needs to be trained then he/she can in turn train the rest.

Any help in clearing up this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
For liability reasons, some employers require you have an operators license. There is no law requiring you to have one.
HOWEVER, operators must be properly trained. No "permit" required - but the employer should definitely be able to document that the required training has been provided.

justalayman

au contraire

http://www.michigan.gov/statelicensesearch/0,4671,7-180-24786_24812-81121--,00.html

Required State License(s):

Permit required, obtained through employer. A complimentary permit and test for the employer is provided by the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Bureau of Safety & Regulation, Safety Education and Training Division; (517) 322-1809.

as well as MiOSHA:

1910.178(l)(1)(i)

The employer shall ensure that each powered industrial truck operator is competent to operate a powered industrial truck safely, as demonstrated by the successful completion of the training and evaluation specified in this paragraph (l).

1910.178(l)(1)(ii)

Prior to permitting an employee to operate a powered industrial truck (except for training purposes), the employer shall ensure that each operator has successfully completed the training required by this paragraph (l), except as permitted by paragraph (l)(5).
1910.178(l)(2)
http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_id=9828&p_table=STANDARDS

Zigner

au contraire

http://www.michigan.gov/statelicensesearch/0,4671,7-180-24786_24812-81121--,00.html

as well as MiOSHA:

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_id=9828&p_table=STANDARDS
I will clarify: There is no requirement for a government issued permit.

justalayman

I will clarify: There is no requirement for a government issued permit.
true but the government does require a permit be earned, one which they have given the terms and training requirements for. While your answer suggests it is optional, mine is clear that it isn't.

and believe me; if OSHA shows up and you don't have one, there will be one very unhappy owner of a business.

Zigner

true but the government does require a permit be earned, one which they have given the terms and training requirements for. While your answer suggests it is optional, mine is clear that it isn't.

and believe me; if OSHA shows up and you don't have one, there will be one very unhappy owner of a business.
Agreed .

justalayman

Ron, that is a great training video. Never have a seen amputation, decapitation, quartering, and so many other forms of mutilation and death presented in such a humorous form.

Truthfully I would love to see that video used in actual lift truck training seminars in the states. It shows a lot of real possibilities of poor driving skills in a, um, distinctive way such that it does demand your attention.

For those with weak stomachs; although the injuries shown are not real, they are realistic enough you will lose your lunch.

quincy

Ron, that is a great training video. Never have a seen amputation, decapitation, quartering, and so many other forms of mutilation and death presented in such a humorous form.

Truthfully I would love to see that video used in actual lift truck training seminars in the states. It shows a lot of real possibilities of poor driving skills in a, um, distinctive way such that it does demand your attention.

For those with weak stomachs; although the injuries shown are not real, they are realistic enough you will lose your lunch.
Hahaha. Nice try, justalayman, but 30 seconds is all I personally am willing to invest in a German forklift training video. :D

adjusterjack

Never have a seen amputation, decapitation, quartering, and so many other forms of mutilation and death presented in such a humorous form.
You're just trying to suck me in to watching the whole thing. :unsure:

I got bored when he got on to the forklift and did the safety check. :sleep:

justalayman

Actually im serious about this. Not suggesting anybody watch it that it doesn’t interest them. Given I’ve been a licensed operator as well as a forklift mechanic and have worked in the industrial world most of my life, that video does present real issues in a manner that would cause viewers watching it for what it was designed for to understand the seriousness of the points being made.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">