• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home Babysitting "business" Need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fran723

What is the name of your state? NY
I am a licensed NY state Elem. School teacher. I am currently a Stay at home mom to my 3 yr old daughter. I am considering starting my own childcare service this fall. Basically it would be a babysitting service. I plan to be available to babysit in my home 3 mornings per week, M W and F from 9am-12noon. I will have no more than 5 children in my home and will only have 3 to 4 yr olds. What will make my service unique is that I will structure the day similar to a preschool day..stories, arts and crafts, snack etc.. My question is can I do this on my own? Is it legal for me to babysit 3 days a week, 5 kids at a time? Do I need some sort of "license" ? I plan to use my entire first floor of my house for this service. Remember, I'm not going to run a school I'm really babysitting but I plan to use the time similar to a school day. I do have a license to teach. I'm CPR trained. What legal advice do I need if any? Can I just go ahead and advertise my "service". I know many ,many moms who are already interested in hiring me as a babysitter. Please let me know what my next step should be..if there are any legal requirements. Thanks, Fran

H

hexeliebe

Remember, I'm not going to run a school I'm really babysitting but I plan to use the time similar to a school day.
That's up to the state to determine, not this board. Each state has differing qualifications as to what constitutes a 'day-care' situation. Before you continue you'd better make sure you do not fall within these guidelines.

If you do, then you'd need more than a license to care for children. It's a simple process to call your city hall and ask what they require to run a daycare center and what constitutes a 'daycare' situation.

If you do not fall within these criteria, then you should be o.k. However, if you advertise a business without a business license, then you could also be held liable under the city statutes for operating a business without a license.

This is a minefield that you should get local legal advice.

B

businessjustice

here is a link to the guidelines for starting and maintaining an in home day care in New York

http://nrc.uchsc.edu/newyork/ny_417TOC.htm

"the office" as it is referred to here, is the New York State Office of Children and Family Services

here is a link to thier site directly, they can answer all your questions on getting started.

http://www.ocfs.state.ny.us/main/

from the looks of it, due to PT and # of kids, you don't need to be licensed, just registered with the state. All of the details are in the links I gave you.

How you structure your in home care isn't a factor in your registration/license, but the condition of your home, fire safety etc...is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">