• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House remodeling contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

clconner

We received an estimate from the contractor we hired to do some remodeling of our house. The contract was for $50,000 and we signed it. The contractor mentioned verbally that he charged a 10% contractor's fee which we did not have a problem with. A month after he started the work he faxed a letter over stating what the cost of the wood flooring would be that we had selected and stated in the letter that the contractor's fee of 10% would be added to the installation of the flooring. No problem.

The work at the beginning was great but after a couple of months the work began to get shabby. He put up stair rails stained but never sanded. He had closet doors put up that were sprayed with flat paint and never sanded or primed first. ETC. The painter he hired (and payed completely up front) was horrible. First of all, they did not use the type of paint I requested. Second, the work he did was sloppy and not complete. We called the contractor several times to have the painting completed which it never was.

We went on vacation for a week the end of May and when we returned we called our contractor to get the painting completed and the other odds and ends that had never been done. Well, he called once and wanted to come over that afternoon to do some of the work. I told him that would not work because I had to go pick my children from school and the morning would be better. He said he would call back. Well, we didn't hear from him for two months. We went ahead and hired other people to complete the work ourselves.

Well, we just heard from our contractor. He wants the full amount of the estimate plus 15% contractor's fee AND a supervisory charge for his time of 78 hours at $25.00 an hour plus 35% overhead charge on his hourly wage. He also wants us to pay the full amount for the painter which never was completed. This comes to about $8500 more than the estimate. Do we have to pay the additional money? We feel that we only owe him a 10% contractor's fee which to us is the supervisory charge. We also feel we should not have to pay the full amount for his horrible painter. It's not our fault that he paid the painter in advance and that is why he could never get him to come back to our house to complete the work.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by clconner:
We received an estimate from the contractor we hired to do some remodeling of our house. The contract was for $50,000 and we signed it. The contractor mentioned verbally that he charged a 10% contractor's fee which we did not have a problem with. A month after he started the work he faxed a letter over stating what the cost of the wood flooring would be that we had selected and stated in the letter that the contractor's fee of 10% would be added to the installation of the flooring. No problem.

The work at the beginning was great but after a couple of months the work began to get shabby. He put up stair rails stained but never sanded. He had closet doors put up that were sprayed with flat paint and never sanded or primed first. ETC. The painter he hired (and payed completely up front) was horrible. First of all, they did not use the type of paint I requested. Second, the work he did was sloppy and not complete. We called the contractor several times to have the painting completed which it never was.

We went on vacation for a week the end of May and when we returned we called our contractor to get the painting completed and the other odds and ends that had never been done. Well, he called once and wanted to come over that afternoon to do some of the work. I told him that would not work because I had to go pick my children from school and the morning would be better. He said he would call back. Well, we didn't hear from him for two months. We went ahead and hired other people to complete the work ourselves.

Well, we just heard from our contractor. He wants the full amount of the estimate plus 15% contractor's fee AND a supervisory charge for his time of 78 hours at $25.00 an hour plus 35% overhead charge on his hourly wage. He also wants us to pay the full amount for the painter which never was completed. This comes to about $8500 more than the estimate. Do we have to pay the additional money? We feel that we only owe him a 10% contractor's fee which to us is the supervisory charge. We also feel we should not have to pay the full amount for his horrible painter. It's not our fault that he paid the painter in advance and that is why he could never get him to come back to our house to complete the work.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stand your ground and do not fall for the old remodeler ripoff. Contact the State and see if he is licensed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">