• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to differentiate trustworthy people and business offers from scams?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crazymao

A man, Executive VP/Business Development of The Silicon Valley Space Center (at least that's what his title says) contacted me and wants to do business together, build a software application and license it. The problem is that I'm a student, 19, he found me through a service similar to LinkedIn and saw my previous work which is mostly hobby and not really impressive. I have no clue why such a serious businessman would choose me. Even though this is exciting and if real would be an amazing opportunity, it sounds way too good to be true and I'm not sure if I should proceed. Also I live in Canada and he is in the US, not the most rational set up either. What to do :confused:

quincy

A man, Executive VP/Business Development of The Silicon Valley Space Center (at least that's what his title says) contacted me and wants to do business together, build a software application and license it. The problem is that I'm a student, 19, he found me through a service similar to LinkedIn and saw my previous work which is mostly hobby and not really impressive. I have no clue why such a serious businessman would choose me. Even though this is exciting and if real would be an amazing opportunity, it sounds way too good to be true and I'm not sure if I should proceed. Also I live in Canada and he is in the US, not the most rational set up either. What to do :confused:
I agree with Proserpina. With the dearth of information you have provided, there is no way we can even attempt to advise you. If you think something sounds too be too good to be true, however, it is generally not something you want to believe.

Dave1952

You're not looking for legal advice. So, does this guy want to hire you? Probably not. Bet he wants you to work as an independent contractor. Nothing wrong with that but If you've no experience as a contractor then you'll need to learn really fast or turn down his request.

quincy

crazymao should proceed with extreme caution, if he proceeds at all.

Building a software application for someone in a different country, based on nothing more than what the person claims to be, has "red flag" written all over it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">