• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I protect myself?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

clthingadvice

California

I hope I'm posting this in the right spot...

My boyfriend and a friend of his are starting up a clothing company. I will be hired as an independent contractor to manage several aspects of the business. My name will not be in the partnership at all. My question is should I have a contract written up to protect myself if my boyfriend and I were to break up? I've already brought it up with him and he's willing to sign something. What key things should be included in the contract?

Thank you for any advice!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

clthingadvice said:
California

I hope I'm posting this in the right spot...

My boyfriend and a friend of his are starting up a clothing company. I will be hired as an independent contractor to manage several aspects of the business. My name will not be in the partnership at all. My question is should I have a contract written up to protect myself if my boyfriend and I were to break up? I've already brought it up with him and he's willing to sign something. What key things should be included in the contract?

Thank you for any advice!

My response:

Sure, it's always a "good thing" to have your agreements put to writing. That's a basic tenet of contract law - - and protecting yourself.

As for "key things", beyond the obvious, such as salary, duties, hours, etc., only an in-depth discussion with an attorney can help you to formulate an agreeable contract. It's worth the couple of hundreds dollars to have a contract professionally written.

IAAL

K

krispenstpeter

Cisco is totally right.

Just for illustration, I have four contracts in front of me right now for review. One is for the non-exclusive use of an application I completed this week. Another is for the formation of a new LLP to manage and distribute the application, another is for Sales and Infrastructure support and the last is for Partnership Details with my parent company.

The total pages I have in front of me is 126 between the four contracts...and that does not include SLAs, Distribution contracts and Provisional Patent application, Copyright registration and other various and sundry documents.

At last count, to secure my rights to the application I designed and developed, to secure tax advantages for the corporation and to legally bind the customer to a non-exclusive yearly contract, I have more than 350 pages of documents to peruse tonight.

And people think being rich is it's own reward :rolleyes:

P

phwl

I think he meant "Crisco" Maybe he is thinking of fried chicken.....? Lunch time ...??? :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">