• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I start a business based off my website?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Diabolus

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Okay, I run a website that's been getting pretty big lately -- MazdaWorld.org. I have lots of requests for people wanting to advertise, as well as other forms of revenue I can get. Anyways.. I figured it would be a good idea to get it legitimized and legal.

I figured a sole proprietership is the best method for me (as I put a lot of my own money into the site to make it work, so I can reap tax benefits, no?). I am not sure however, how to go about doing this, especially since I don't have a business address or anything... I do all my stuff from my home PC.

Anyhoo.. How do I go about doing this? I don't know what paperwork to fill out, and I don't know how much it will cost. Since I'm not making any money on the site right now, anything I do for the site is out of my pocket and not from the site's revenue, so I don't want to pay $500 to get the site legalized.

I appreciate any help you can offer me here, I'm new to this and don't know what I'm doing, so if anybody has a few tips, it would be greatly appreciated.

Please though, put it in idiot speak, since I am one, and need to follow simple instructions :)

Thanks!

K

krispenstpeter

Since this is a legal site and you are asking business related questions.

Call your local S.C.O.R.E representative at the Small Business Administraton who will help you more fully understand not only the protective aspects of different business entities but also some tax advantages of each.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">