• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to give equity without problems later?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rccman

Hi everyone. I have an issue with a co-founder who I am about to let go (won't go into details). I already know he is going to be very upset...and am concerned about what he could do to sabotage the business in the future. I won't get into details about why I suspect this.

I want to give him something for his effort the past 6 months. but I don't have cash at the moment. I am about to incorporate and figure if I give him equity, I will feel better that he is getting something and it also might give him an incentive to help support us if anything in the future.

The Question: Is there a way to give equity (read: shares) but not have to worry about him leveraging that position to cause problems later? i.e. sabotaging future contracts when we get additional investors from series A etc... e.g. I wouldn't want him to have voting rights but also not be able to not sign shareholder agreements in the future.

any creative ideas welcomed!!! I'm in a tough spot.

-Chris

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">