• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How legally/morally binding is a verbal contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nannoo

Posted again - from Mass.

My husband and I were offered a car by a friend, at a price that we all agreed on. This same price was mentioned again at various times over the past few weeks. We are on the verge of taking possession of the car, and were told over a glass of wine that the price would now be 20 per cent more .... his words were "the bad news is that we want to up the price". From this it is obvious that there was no misunderstanding. Apart from feeling extremely hurt and angry, what is the law with regard to verbal, witnessed contracts like this? Thank you for your help.

A

AJK2nd

Contracts over $5,000 usually must be in writing under the Uniform Commercial Code.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AJK2nd:
Contracts over $5,000 usually must be in writing under the Uniform Commercial Code.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

The U.C.C. is only operative if you're buying from a commericial establishment, like a car dealership - - is has no bearing or applicability whatsoever with "private party" sales - - of anything.

A private party oral contract is, however, subject to your State's "Statute of Frauds" series of Statutes. An oral contract is, in most States, acceptable and enforceable; however, with an oral contract, the same must be proved to have even existed. Therefore, you're going to need a favorable witness to testify to the "terms and conditions" of the sale; price, delivery, and other conditions, like payments and over how many months, or whether is was a complete cash purchase, etc.

Without proof, and if you're the plaintiff you carry the burden of proof, it is more likely than not, that you will not be able to carry your burden of proof in a lawsuit.

Next time, get the terms and conditions in writing, and signed by all parties to the contract.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">