• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am a business owner - legal to use camera with audio capability?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bax

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I own a cart that cells custom cell phone cases in a mall. I am interested in using a camera that is pointed at the cash drawer to monitor the handling of cash, as well as for security.

Are there any legal issues that I need to be aware of if the camera has audio capabilities? I would be able to login to a website/app to view the camera via a live feed, as well as listen to live audio if I desired. I would not record, but it has the capability to record audio and video.

Thanks.
-J

swalsh411

Have you contacted the mall? They may have a policy against this.

The problem with audio recording is that you will invariably pick up sounds that occur outside your legitimate area of control. (your cart). You can run into all sorts of privacy issues. A video only camera, properly mounted, will only take recordings where you can reasonably claim you have a right to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">