• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I didn't think this one through (sole prop) am I in trouble?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NeoMan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

California

I moved to San Diego in 2012 to start a small business with some friends, but we ended up finding jobs and the business never got going at all. The most we ever did was obtain a business license. I ended up only staying in San Diego for 6 months until I moved out of the county.

It wasn't until yesterday that I came across some old paperwork and was reminded about this small business I started, also realizing I never filed for taxes with the IRS.

Now I am worried. I never made any money with the business, but in doing research I have found that I was still supposed to file for taxes. Not only that but I never let them know that I moved out of the county!

Does anyone know what I need to do to make things right with the IRS?

Last edited:

tranquility

If all you got was a business license and did not incorporate or do any business, don't worry about it. The state may come in and claim people with such a license usually make such and such an amount and try to assess that, but if you explain the facts if they come calling, you should be fine.

NeoMan

If all you got was a business license and did not incorporate or do any business, don't worry about it. The state may come in and claim people with such a license usually make such and such an amount and try to assess that, but if you explain the facts if they come calling, you should be fine.
Thanks for your reply,

I contacted the treasury office this morning to let them know I had moved but was wondering if I also needed to contact the IRS. I will just not worry about it until they contact me then.

LdiJ

Thanks for your reply,

I contacted the treasury office this morning to let them know I had moved but was wondering if I also needed to contact the IRS. I will just not worry about it until they contact me then.
Seriously, its really nothing to worry about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">