• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I would like to start a not-for-profit corp.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mason

There is a thrift shop nearby that is "owned & operated" by a not-for-profit corp.This copr. wants to get "out" of the thrift shop business. I am interested in starting a not-for-profit and "taking over" the thrift shop. Can I "do" this myself? Do I need a lawyer? Can an accountant "do". How much should / will setting up the corp cost?
How long should the process take (I am in NY State).

T

Tracey

Go to your library and check out some self-help legal books on incorporating yourself. Then you can do it if you feel up to it.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

W

weird2all

Running a non-profit corporation depends on the state you're stayin'. You have to incorporate, state your purpose of running that non-profit business and some states requires capital amount from the corporation. Check your State Dept. of Commerce for more info. Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">