• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it illegal to resell products

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mollykins2

I own a small gift shop in Wisconsin. Lately I have been purchasing products from other stores at greatly reduced prices and then reselling them in my store. Is this illegal? I do have a sales tax id number and business license. Another store is trying to say that I can't do this, but I do not see why not, since none of the merchandise is trade marked or brands owned by these stores. You can find these items at numerous other stores. Thank you for any advice.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mollykins2:
I own a small gift shop in Wisconsin. Lately I have been purchasing products from other stores at greatly reduced prices and then reselling them in my store. Is this illegal? I do have a sales tax id number and business license. Another store is trying to say that I can't do this, but I do not see why not, since none of the merchandise is trade marked or brands owned by these stores. You can find these items at numerous other stores. Thank you for any advice.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

The short answer is: "No."

Who made your car? Ford? GM? When you bought your car, did you ever think that you might resell it. Of course !! When you go shopping in your supermarket, do you think that your supermarket made all of those products? No, of course not. So, what did they do? They bought them from a "jobber" and now the supermarket is reselling the products on its shelves at a profit. As long as you buy the products you are selling, there is no law against reselling them. Your friend in the other store doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">