• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it illegal to send unsolicited emails asking for donations or contributions?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sethmachine01

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Is it against the law for a company (for profit or non-profit) to send unsolicited emails requesting donations / contributions?

Under what circumstances is it legal or illegal to do so?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Is it against the law for a company (for profit or non-profit) to send unsolicited emails requesting donations / contributions?

Under what circumstances is it legal or illegal to do so?
We still don't do homework.

tranquility

We have this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN-SPAM_Act_of_2003

Yet, I still get tons of email from people trying to sell me something.

Do you have a problem?

Proserpina

We have this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN-SPAM_Act_of_2003

Yet, I still get tons of email from people trying to sell me something.

Do you have a problem?
Dear Mr Tran Quility,

I am Mrs. Donette Trumpywump, a Lawyer by profession. I am the personal attorney to Mr. Charles Quility , a national of your country, who used to work with Chevron Oil Exploration Company in Nigeria, herein after shall be referred to as my client.

On the 21st of April 2000, my client, his wife and their onlye child were involved in a car accident along Lagos - Ibadan express road. All occupants of the vehicle unfortunately lost there lives.

Since then I have made several enquiries to your embassy to locate any of my clients extended relatives. This has proved unsuccessful. I came to know about you through an enquiry I was making in the internet, and I found out you shared the same surname with my client, which is why I have decided to contact you, in order to assist in repatriating the money and property left behind by my client before they get confiscated or declared unserviceable by the bank.

Particularly, in a local commercial bank here where the deceased had an account valued at about US$ 15.5 Million Dollars, has issued me a notice to provide the next of kin or have the account confisticated within the next ten official working days.

Since i have been unsuccessful in locating the relatives for over 2 years now I seek your consent to present you as the next of kin of the deceased since you have the same last name so that the proceeds of this account valued at US$15.5 Million Dollars can be paid to you and then you and me can share the money, on the ratio of 50% for me, and 50% for you.

I have all necessary legal documents that can be used to back up any claim we may make. All I require is your honest co-operation to enable us see this business through. I guarantee that this will be executed under a legitimate arrangement that will protect you from any breach of the law.

Please get in touch with me by email and send to me your telephone and fax numbers to enable us discuss further about the details of this transaction.

_____

(spelling errors have not been changed from original. Thank you for allowing me to share an example of what appears in my in-box from time to time. Could I please have my money now?)

tranquility

Dear Mr Tran Quility,

I am Mrs. Donette Trumpywump, a Lawyer by profession. I am the personal attorney to Mr. Charles Quility , a national of your country, who used to work with Chevron Oil Exploration Company in Nigeria, herein after shall be referred to as my client.

On the 21st of April 2000, my client, his wife and their onlye child were involved in a car accident along Lagos - Ibadan express road. All occupants of the vehicle unfortunately lost there lives.

Since then I have made several enquiries to your embassy to locate any of my clients extended relatives. This has proved unsuccessful. I came to know about you through an enquiry I was making in the internet, and I found out you shared the same surname with my client, which is why I have decided to contact you, in order to assist in repatriating the money and property left behind by my client before they get confiscated or declared unserviceable by the bank.

Particularly, in a local commercial bank here where the deceased had an account valued at about US$ 15.5 Million Dollars, has issued me a notice to provide the next of kin or have the account confisticated within the next ten official working days.

Since i have been unsuccessful in locating the relatives for over 2 years now I seek your consent to present you as the next of kin of the deceased since you have the same last name so that the proceeds of this account valued at US$15.5 Million Dollars can be paid to you and then you and me can share the money, on the ratio of 50% for me, and 50% for you.

I have all necessary legal documents that can be used to back up any claim we may make. All I require is your honest co-operation to enable us see this business through. I guarantee that this will be executed under a legitimate arrangement that will protect you from any breach of the law.

Please get in touch with me by email and send to me your telephone and fax numbers to enable us discuss further about the details of this transaction.

_____

(spelling errors have not been changed from original. Thank you for allowing me to share an example of what appears in my in-box from time to time. Could I please have my money now?)
Ms. Trumpywump, the "t" is lowercase. tranquility, not Tranquility.

Mr. Quility is of some interest to me. I have many attributes that have me feel I could certainly help. My email is [email protected]. My routing number is 003940258 and account number is 9294324309547. If you have any files you want me to see, please send them to the previous address. I will click on them immediately and reply appropriately.

Co-operation is the key. Understand I am quite sincere to get a percentage of a bazillion dollars for doing nothing.

Proserpina

Ms. Trumpywump, the "t" is lowercase. tranquility, not Tranquility.

Mr. Quility is of some interest to me. I have many attributes that have me feel I could certainly help. My email is [email protected]. My routing number is 003940258 and account number is 9294324309547. If you have any files you want me to see, please send them to the previous address. I will click on them immediately and reply appropriately.

Co-operation is the key. Understand I am quite sincere to get a percentage of a bazillion dollars for doing nothing.
404 message. "Failure to launch. Eat 50 bananas every day".

What does that mean?

FlyingRon

You can guarantee that your email sending site and any site that hosts related information will get blacklisted. I religiously feed spam emails like you intend to send into the spam databases which then blacklist the sites and stop me and other subscribers from receiving furhter mailings. You may find that your agreement with your internet providers also precludes such activity and can get your accounts shutdown without notice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">