• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

inc, business closed being sued

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mikepp

My wifes mother owned a florist, and it was incorporated, and she was killled in an accident leaving the deeply indebited business to my wife. After 2 yrs of trying to overturn her debt we closed the doors, sold off what inventory she had and paid what we could she had a few debts left and they are trying to sue the business and my seperately, can they do this and put a judgement on my wife? I thought INC was a protection factor for stock holder and my wife is president of an out of business business????? Help i'm confused

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mikepp:
My wifes mother owned a florist, and it was incorporated, and she was killled in an accident leaving the deeply indebited business to my wife. After 2 yrs of trying to overturn her debt we closed the doors, sold off what inventory she had and paid what we could she had a few debts left and they are trying to sue the business and my seperately, can they do this and put a judgement on my wife? I thought INC was a protection factor for stock holder and my wife is president of an out of business business????? Help i'm confused<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does your wife own any shares of stock in the corporation? Is she a legal owner or just an officer?

T

Tracey

Sounds like you co-mingled funds, by using your personal money to pay business debts. This may be sufficient to allow creditors to pierce the corporate veil & get the rest of your money. Get thee to a corporate lawyer, go.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">