• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance co. taking me to court. Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bigal1128

What is the name of your state? CT.

I have a problem that I can't seem to find any answers to on this board so I will ask.

I run an L.L.C. in CT., we had sent our Auto ins. co. a late payment. We got one notice to send Payment by Dec. 31 2001
on Jan.2nd 2002 we get a call from our agent saying that the Ins. Co has cancelled us for non- payment. On Jan.3rd 2002 I see the check has cleared my bank overnight. The company refuses to continue to insure us, (after much begging), and terminates us as of Dec.31st, 2001. Leaving me with no insurance on 15 trucks for about a week. Two or three weeks later we receive a check from the Ins. Co. stating that this was an overpayment on the premium and they are returning this money to us. About a month or two later we get a letter from the co saying that after an internal audit, (About the same time as the Enron scandal), that they made a mistake and now we owe them more than what they sent us. I argued with the company that why would you send me money if I owed you anything, And two months later tell me that now I owe you after some sort of audit process that you did. I don't now how they do their record keeping so why should I have to give them there money back. Now they have a local lawyer and are taking us to civil court. Do I have any legal right to keep this money? And should i just settle or should I try to find a sympathetic judge who will side with a struggling small business VS Safeco Ins.? Thanks in Advance for any help.
Big Al

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">