• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Internet Company/Refuses to Refund

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

keri

In November, I purchased some health/beauty products from a Connecticut company selling them over the internet. The cost was $129.95, with a very clearly posted 30-day money back guarantee. The products were garbage, so I returned them via certified mail within 30 days, politely asking for a refund under their guarantee. They never responded.

I have sent 5 or 6 emails, 3 mailed letters, and left 4 or 5 voicemail messages over the last six months, nicely requesting my refund. No response.

The owner of the company signed for the package, and I have sent him copies of all my documentation.

Finally, last month, I had the Better Business Bureau try to mediate, but they did not respond to the BBB's letter.

This is not a huge amount of money, but I am upset that they refuse to honor their guarantee that is still posted on their website.

I can't file a small claims court claim, because we are in separate states (I am in Illinois, they are in Connecticut).

Any ideas?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by keri:
In November, I purchased some health/beauty products from a Connecticut company selling them over the internet. The cost was $129.95, with a very clearly posted 30-day money back guarantee. The products were garbage, so I returned them via certified mail within 30 days, politely asking for a refund under their guarantee. They never responded.

I have sent 5 or 6 emails, 3 mailed letters, and left 4 or 5 voicemail messages over the last six months, nicely requesting my refund. No response.

The owner of the company signed for the package, and I have sent him copies of all my documentation.

Finally, last month, I had the Better Business Bureau try to mediate, but they did not respond to the BBB's letter.

This is not a huge amount of money, but I am upset that they refuse to honor their guarantee that is still posted on their website.

I can't file a small claims court claim, because we are in separate states (I am in Illinois, they are in Connecticut).

Any ideas?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do because the costs will far outweigh any benefit to you, and they know it.

As for myself, the Internet has not advanced to the point of commerce "safety" enough for me, and I would not even think of doing business with anyone on the Internet, just because of what happened to you, and thousands like you.

If you want to spend dollars to get pennies, just to make an example out of them, and expose them, then get a judgment, and then put up your own Internet site to post your story and the judgment (whew, this is a long sentence), then go for it.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

L

Lora

Hi Keri,

I am not in anyway qualified to give advice here, but I had a similar experience, very similar, except this company was located in Canada and I in Oregon. They had their posted return policy, and via e-mail I received an RMA number and instructions on how to return the merchandise. I followed them and waited for my refund. Nothing!

I e-mailed them, 3 times without response, ( Before, when asking if I could make the return, they were always very quick to respond, so their silence made me suspicious.) Finally, 2 months had passed, I wrote to my bank as I had paid with my Visa online (they also were an internet company) and asked them if they could help settle it. They refunded my money immediately and launched an investigation. I was shocked!

The company did dispute the refund and my bank asked for any proof so I sent them every bit of our correspondance... The final verdict was I got my money back. You might try it...??

Good luck to you!

All my best,

Lora
I returned

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My further response:

Here's another idea - - Internet Fraud Complaint Center

https://www.ifccfbi.gov/

{Report 'not quite right' sites} We were told as toddlers never to tattle. So, when is it 'cool' to complain? You may have been ripped off in the past; if the offending company hasn't responded to your grievances, this center has open ears. Whether it's a Criminal or civil violation, be sure to report it to the IFCC. Consumer rights should never be pushed to the side; you're the reason most e-businesses are in business. Push THEM around for once.

Good luck.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited June 04, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">