• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jetx, need your opinion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Veronica1228

What is the name of your state?Wisconsin
Jetx I need your help to settle a dispute at work. I occasionally set up new business and commercial customers at the bank I work at, and to be compliant with my bank's policies and the USA PATRIOT Act, we need certain documents. My question is about Non-Profit Organizations.

I know that a business entity can be formed as say, a Corporation and still be not for profit. However, I maintain that some entities such as a church for example, can be formed as strictly a Non-Profit Organization and therefore not have formation documents such as Articles of Inc or Articles of Organization (LLC).

I guess to put it simply, is a Non-Profit a type of business entity? If so, what formation docs are used? Thanks.

JETX

Veronica1228 said:
I guess to put it simply, is a Non-Profit a type of business entity? If so, what formation docs are used? Thanks.
I can't answer as to what your state corporate laws are.... however, GENERALLY, a non-profit is set up just as a non-profit. The same state registration process and documents are required.

Read 180 thru 184 (specifically 184 for unincorporated non-profits) at:
http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/Statutes.html

Veronica1228

JETX said:
I can't answer as to what your state corporate laws are.... however, GENERALLY, a non-profit is set up just as a non-profit. The same state registration process and documents are required.

Read 180 thru 184 (specifically 184 for unincorporated non-profits) at:
http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/Statutes.html
Thank you. You actually answered my question by using the term "unincorporated." I should have specified that while I am in Wisconsin I handle businesses located in all 50 states, so my questions was more general then I led you to believe.

The reason we were having a dispute is that when we open new DDAs we require Certificates of Authority (an internal bank doc) that are specific to the type of entity the new customer is formed as. We have always used an Uninc COA in the past, and then suddenly another department of my bank was questioning the document. I just wanted to get back up before I tell them that, as always, I was right.

Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">