• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

judgments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

ilee

Is is legal to sell a judgment to a person not associated with the original case? If it is legal, is the process for collecting the judgment the same? where would i find out about garnishment procedures for Hawaii, and Idaho?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ilee:
Is is legal to sell a judgment to a person not associated with the original case? If it is legal, is the process for collecting the judgment the same? where would i find out about garnishment procedures for Hawaii, and Idaho?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Sure you can. Creditors assign claims to collection agencies all the time. Usually, the assignee buys the debt of the creditor/assignor for nickles to dimes on the dollar. The assignee/collection agency (or whomever), then has the same rights, titles and privileges that the assignor had in the debt, and suing for, and collection on, the debt is the same. Below is a form that should be used when assigning/selling a debt:

CREDITOR'S ASSIGNMENT OF CLAIM
In the Matter of

The undersigned does assign and transfer to __________ __________ my/our
claim and demands against the above-named debtor in the amount of __________
Dollars (__________) and I/we authorize said Assignee to enforce the payment
of the same, by legal remedies or otherwise, for his/her/its use and benefits
and in the event of an attachment pursuant to the Code of Civil Procedure of
the State of California Section 488. I/we will protect the surety(ies) on any
required Attachment Bond, pay the necessary expenses, and hold the said
Assignee free and harmless from any claims asserted by the debtor by virtue
of any attachment made by said Assignee.

In the event that my/our aforesaid claim or demand is guaranteed, such
guaranty, or guaranties, are hereby also assigned, transferred and set over
to the Assignee above-named.

In the event that my/our aforesaid claim or demand is guaranteed, such
guaranty, or guaranties, are hereby also assigned, transferred and set over
to the Assignee above-named.

WITNESS my/our hands the date first above written.

As for matters concerning Hawaii and Idaho, I can't help you.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">