• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

L L C ~ Principal Place of Business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OCD

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

Uh-oh...problem! :mad:

I went online to start my LLC (for my art/drawing business) on January 1, 2017. One of the questions on their form is:

WHAT IS YOUR PRINCIPAL PLACE OF BUSINESS

Problem is, I don't have one -- I haven't started my business yet! In fact, I want my LLC to be firmly in place when I find a location so that my LLC name will be listed as "Tenant" (that way, I'm super-protected).

As always, I've found huge conflicting info on the internet:
1.) "Use your Registered Agent's address."
2.) "Use a mailbox at a UPS place."
3.) "Don't use your Registered Agents address or a UPS mailbox because that's deceptive (or, at least, a 'grey area.')."

Are there any lawyers familiar with Washington State laws that have thoughts on this? :confused:

Thank you!

adjusterjack

I went online to start my LLC (for my art/drawing business) on January 1, 2017. One of the questions on their form is:

That's not the question. The question is "Address of the Principal Office."

https://www.sos.wa.gov/_assets/corps/LLC-Formation112016.pdf

According to RCW 25.15.006

(13) "Principal office" means the office, in or out of this state, so designated in the annual report, where the principal executive offices of a domestic or foreign limited liability company are located.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?Cite=25.15

Problem is, I don't have one --
Yes, you do. It's your home address and that's what you put until you find a place and then you change it.

I haven't started my business yet! In fact, I want my LLC to be firmly in place when I find a location so that my LLC name will be listed as "Tenant" (that way, I'm super-protected).
LLCs don't "super-protect" you. Landlords and lenders will want personal guarantees on any contract you sign. LLCs don't protect you from liability for your acts of negligence.

3.) "Don't use your Registered Agents address or a UPS mailbox because that's deceptive (or, at least, a 'grey area.')."
Naturally, jump around the internet instead of calling up the corporation commission and getting the answer where it would actually make sense to get it.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

Uh-oh...problem! :mad:

Problem is, I don't have one -- I haven't started my business yet! In fact, I want my LLC to be firmly in place when I find a location so that my LLC name will be listed as "Tenant" (that way, I'm super-protected).

Are there any lawyers familiar with Washington State laws that have thoughts on this? :confused:

Thank you!
I am not a lawyer, I am a tax professional, but seriously...if you do not yet have a principal place of business yet then you just use your home address. This is truly NOT a big deal at all. Its just an address. Its just an address where you will be sure to get your mail. People that get all paranoid about the address to use are just that, paranoid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">