• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Labor for room and board

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

das612

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

If I own a farm and someone does labor on that farm in exchange for room and board, then what am I responsible for as far as taxes, minimum wage, and insurance is concerned? Am I actually considered an employer, or can this just continue to be an oral agreement between friends with no other legal implications?

das612

People are free to come and go as they please, but if they want to stay and eat my food then I have some work that I require them to do (E.G. Feed the chickens, muck out the horses, plow an acre). Basically I require any lodgers to pull their own weight.

Dave1952

This brochure, http://alfafarmers.org/uploads/files/Ag_Law_Book_-_Final_-_January_2013.pdf , which is not provided by the government addresses many of your questions.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">