• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laws on personal mail in a corporate environment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ITcorp

What is the name of your state?In the State of Minnesota, what are the laws on mail from the post office addressed to the company with the name of an individual other than the owner of that company? We have a situation where a person had received some very personal news addressed to the company with her name on it. Every piece of mail that comes in is opened, inspected and read and given to appropriate managers to also read, then finally to the employee. any advice on this subject will be sincerly appreciated as it has caused a major problem here.
Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The employee would be well advised not to have personal mail sent to her at the office. If it is addressed to the company, they have the right to put it through their regular mail room procedures.

glider36

What if the mail is to the person at the company address?

In Oregon. I understand mail addressed to "person at business name...business address" is subject to being opened. Please advise on the legality of opening mail to employees strictly addressed to their name (no business name) but at the business's address. Is it legal to open this personal mail?

Some Random Guy

Mail addressed to a person at a business is not personal mail. It is business mail. Personal mail should be send to a personal address.

C

CheeseBlotto

glider36 said:
In Oregon. I understand mail addressed to "person at business name...business address" is subject to being opened. Please advise on the legality of opening mail to employees strictly addressed to their name (no business name) but at the business's address. Is it legal to open this personal mail?
You understand incorrectly. Do you really think a company should have the legal burden of having to sort business vs. pseudo-personal mail?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">