• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawsuit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dmb39

What is the name of your state? Florida
I was a partner of an inactive corporation with my now ex husband during August - November 2001. I was very heavily into my divorce during this time and awaiting November mediation. My ex controlled all the business operations I had no involvement since June of that year. Even before then I just kept the books. HE also signed personal guarantee for credit applications. He didn't pay for invoices on product which resulted in a lawsuit. I was served. He has managed to avoid service. He will not step up to the plate on this. (no Surprise) I truly feel like a victim here. Again, I had no involvement with this business and didn't sign a personal guarantee for this account. I am now totally removed from the corporation. Where do I stand? Any advice if I have to go to deposition?

V

Virginia Lathan

Before You Give Your Deposition

Hi dmb39,

Sorry to hear about your plight, and I'm not qualified to give you specific answers to your questions.

But since you metioned you may have to give a deposition, I suggest you contact an attorney. Oftentimes their initial consultations are free. This site has an easy-to-use listing of attorneys by areas of law and the states in which they're located.

Also, while giving your deposition, if you don't know an answer, then that's a perfectly acceptable response. If you respond that way, attorneys will usually ask follow-up questions to narrow their question or attempt to jog your memory, but if you truly don't know, don't be forced to come up with an answer. They also don't want total guesses. An attorney representing you will be a great aide in guiding you through the procedure.

Good luck to you.

dmb39

Thanks for your response. I can use any help I can get. Unfortunately retaining a lawyer for this is impossible. I just finished paying for mine from the divorce and am a single mom without child support for 5 years. I'll do my best. Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">