• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyers consignment fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NachmanB2

I live in New York. My question is such. I hired a lawyer to fight an insurance company for a disbility. The deal I made (I was stupid - I think) was for lawyer to receive 1/3 of winnings (a few years back benefits witheld) plus 20% of future benefits payable. The lawyer won for me>
Question: Is lawyer really entitled to life-time consignment, or is that being overpaid and at least ethically incorrect - if not legally incorrect?
If anyone can help - please respond to [email protected]
Thanks

[This message has been edited by NachmanB2 (edited March 07, 2000).]

L

Larry the Lawyer

The ethics rules and common sense entitle lawyers to earn a reasonable fee. Unconscionable fees are prohibited.

Without full knowledge I can't tell if the fee you agreed to falls into the latter category, or if the lawyer was taking advantage of you.

How hard was the case? Did this require extraordinary skill and talents by the lawyer? How much time and effort was needed to achieve the results? At what stage did the results occur (after a letter, after a conference, after filing suit, after a trial, after an appeal to the Court of Appeals)? What is you life expectancy? What alternatives did the lawyer offer, and why did you choose what you did? Why should you be able to get out of the deal you made -- unless the lawyer was taking advantage of you?

Have you spoken to the lawyer? Have you consulted another lawyer -- if the fee is unconsionable it is not enforceable. Have you asked that the matter be referred to the Bar association fee dispute arbitration processes?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">