• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lease not being completely upheld by landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hhlowe

My lease (for a commercial building in Texas) includes that the landlord will provide internet, but it's been out 75% of the time for the past 2 weeks. I've mentioned to the landlord that it has been out several times, and they say "they are looking into it", but nothing has come of that. I can't process payments or complete much work when the internet is out.
I've offered that if the landlord would take $50 off our lease each month, we would just provide our own internet and they could cancel that service, but they refuse to do so. What are my options if the internet continues to not work regularly? The landlord doesn't seem to be willing to help at all to fix the problem.

OHRoadwarrior

There is a reasonableness standard to the issue. The landlord has the obligation to pay for the internet service, not to make sure the provider correctly provides it and not to make sure your equipment properly works on it. This sounds like it is a signal issue. That hints that either the distribution supply on the pole is failing or your modem is not processing the signal correctly. Check back, I will have my son post how to check your upstream and downstream numbers. Your problem may be as simple as a upstream/downstream booster. Are you hard wired, or logging into his wireless? If the later, a simple signal booster should solve that problem also.

hhlowe

thanks for the reply, OHRoadwarrier - I agree in that it's probably an equipment issue, but an issue none the less. We sadly don't have access to the modem/router, as it's behind a locked door that only the landlord has access to. We are connecting wirelessly, and about 2 weeks ago it just stopped seeing the router a lot. (so I'm guessing it's not a internet provider issue... ) My main thing is that I'd like to actually be able to work... at work. Ha. I'm trying to ask the landlord as nice as possible to look into the issue but they do not seem interested to help every much, saying "it's normal for internet to go a lot".

OHRoadwarrior

A internet signal booster may solve the problem. Unless the landlord has the other issue. It might behoove you to offer to pay $50 to buy a good upstream/downstream booster for landlord and deduct it. Sometimes the theory is beyond them.

LdiJ

A internet signal booster may solve the problem. Unless the landlord has the other issue. It might behoove you to offer to pay $50 to buy a good upstream/downstream booster for landlord and deduct it. Sometimes the theory is beyond them.
If the commercial property has more than one tenant, you also might ask some of the other tenants if they have/had the same problem and what, if anything they did to correct it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">