• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leasing Car Through Business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pigskin072

Illinois

My company is currently leasing multiple cars. Now my son is about to turn sixteen and is on the payroll. Is it against the law (Federal or State) to lease a car for him through the company?
If anyone is able to provide adive and/or links to government websites this would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

CraigFL

I've never seen anything that says you can't lease a car to any kind of an employee. What there is, is specific rules for the maximum value of the car, company vs. personal usage and how you have to report personal usage as personal income for tax purposes.

In other words, you can't expect to lease him a Ferrari with no tax effect to him and write it off to the comapny -- those days are over...

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">