• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leasing a credit card machine caused lawsuit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dajsk8

In 1998 I leased a credit card machine from a company. I agreed to the lease because the salesperson guaranteed that the machine could be used with my cellular phone for my traveling business. I don't have access to a land line for my business, so I signed the lease and began paying the lease. I contacted the company I bought the machine from and the salesperson when it would not work with the cellular phone. They constantly sent me to someone else or told me that they would fix things so it would work. After six months of getting no help, I sent the machine back and cancelled the lease (even though it said non-cancellable on one of the sheets). They accepted the machine back and then a different company that bought the lease started to send me collections notices. They also threatened reposession even though I sent everything back (certified and return receipt). They also called my customers and told them they had a legal judgement against me, when they hadn't filed suit. I was able to stop that but now they have filed a lawsuit in another state against me and my company. They also overcharged for this lease in the first place and another company that leases credit card machines told me it was against the Uniform Commercial Code to do so.
What I would like to know is how I can get the case moved from Maryland to Ohio(where I am). They said I waived my right to move the case when I signed the papers. I don't think you can waive that right. The other thing is that they are suing my company by the wrong name, they did not include that the business is incorporated on the lawsuit papers. It is on one of the attached documents to support their case but not on the court filing. Can I get this dismissed on that basis?
Any help that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dajsk8:
In 1998 I leased a credit card machine from a company. I agreed to the lease because the salesperson guaranteed that the machine could be used with my cellular phone for my traveling business. I don't have access to a land line for my business, so I signed the lease and began paying the lease. I contacted the company I bought the machine from and the salesperson when it would not work with the cellular phone. They constantly sent me to someone else or told me that they would fix things so it would work. After six months of getting no help, I sent the machine back and cancelled the lease (even though it said non-cancellable on one of the sheets). They accepted the machine back and then a different company that bought the lease started to send me collections notices. They also threatened reposession even though I sent everything back (certified and return receipt). They also called my customers and told them they had a legal judgement against me, when they hadn't filed suit. I was able to stop that but now they have filed a lawsuit in another state against me and my company. They also overcharged for this lease in the first place and another company that leases credit card machines told me it was against the Uniform Commercial Code to do so.
What I would like to know is how I can get the case moved from Maryland to Ohio(where I am). They said I waived my right to move the case when I signed the papers. I don't think you can waive that right. The other thing is that they are suing my company by the wrong name, they did not include that the business is incorporated on the lawsuit papers. It is on one of the attached documents to support their case but not on the court filing. Can I get this dismissed on that basis?
Any help that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Oh, yes you can waive the jurisdiction in favor of another. Look at your lease agreement - - somewhere, probably near the last page, is a clause that says, in effect:

"Lessor (you) agrees that this lease shall be interpreted and enforced under the laws of the State of Maryland."

As to the "wrong name," unless you defend they will obtain a judgment under that wrong name. If you defend, you can file a "Special Demurrer" and "Motion to Strike" on the ground that Plaintiff is suing the wrong party.

I would, however, waive that, and go ahead and defend, and file a cross-complaint for Breach of Contract.

They are banking on the fact that since you live in Ohio, you won't come to Maryland to defend the action, making it easy to obtain a judgment against you. But, you'll show them. Get a consultation with a Maryland contracts attorney.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">