• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal advise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dune

My husband and I sighned a one year contract at a local gym 9 months ago. Although I go to the gym, my husband never does. So after these 9 months, I asked the owner to terminate my husband's contract. He was extremely rude and said that he had no time to talk to me. I want to terminate my husbands contract because he doesn't use his membership and we're waisting our money. Would this be legal, or if not, can you offer any advise. For example if our family was to move to another state, and we were no longer able to attend the gym, wouldn't it be my right to terminate the contract? Does the customer have any legal rights to terminate a contract?
Thank you

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dune:
My husband and I sighned a one year contract at a local gym 9 months ago. Although I go to the gym, my husband never does. So after these 9 months, I asked the owner to terminate my husband's contract. He was extremely rude and said that he had no time to talk to me. I want to terminate my husbands contract because he doesn't use his membership and we're waisting our money. Would this be legal, or if not, can you offer any advise. For example if our family was to move to another state, and we were no longer able to attend the gym, wouldn't it be my right to terminate the contract? Does the customer have any legal rights to terminate a contract?
Thank you
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Would it be alright for your mortgage company or your landlord to terminate your mortgage or lease on your home, at their whim? Of course not. That's why contracts for a certain period of time are created, and entered into. Such contracts legally bind the parties to the promises they have made each other. Your husband signed the contract and, all because he chooses not to use the benefits of that contract, doesn't mean the Gym should lose the benefits of their part of the bargain - - it's not their fault, and they are not breaching the contract.

If you were to move to another State, or country, it wouldn't make a difference. If you breach the contract, a negative report will be made to your Credit Report; and, that follows you no matter where you go.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited August 08, 2000).]

S

standupgal

I am curious about breach of contract going on a credit report. If I am sued and the judge finds for the plaintiff, will this be reported to credit bureaus by the court? Or, did you mean it will go on your credit report if you don't pay the balance of money to a creditor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">