• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal to call local businesses to pitch my services?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fstep2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Does that fall under any type of spam or unsolicited calling regulations? Simply put I just want to call local small businesses (restaurants, spas, etc) to pitch my marketing and business development services.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Does that fall under any type of spam or unsolicited calling regulations? Simply put I just want to call local small businesses (restaurants, spas, etc) to pitch my marketing and business development services.
SPAM is the use of electronic messaging systems to send unsolicited bulk messages, especially advertising, indiscriminately. The term is restricted to ELECTRONIC forms of advertising, and doesn't related to telephone solicitations, as far as I know.

There's nothing legally stopping you from calling the local small businesses, unless they are part of the national DO NOT CALL registry. You would be regulated the same as any telemarketer in that respect, i.e., calling only during certain restricted hours, not continuing to call after being told not to, keeping your own DO NOT CALL list and complying with a request not to continue calling, etc.

FlyingRon

You can subscribe to it at www.telemarketing.donotcall.gov

Note however, the Do No Call restrictions DO NOT apply to business-to-business transactions nor ones entirely within a single state. However, with a $16,000 per call fine for violating the rules, it might behoove you to screen even business numbers against the do not call list.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">