• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this legal? Do I need to file anything to the IRS?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bogmil

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State - partly

Hi,

Please read everything I wrote carefully, this is very important and details matter. I do feel bad for registering on this forum and for that my first post is a question, not advice.

I am an international exchange student, currently located in the United States, on J-1 visa (thus, not an U.S. citizen) According to my visa, I am not allowed to work while in the US. Therefore, I cannot have Social Security Number. However, I am able to obtain Tax Identification Number, and I have recently applied for one.

My company is established in Serbia (my home country). It is a marketing company. Its name is Bastor.

When I came to the United States, I wanted to start doing website brokering business. Therefore, I "kinda established" a new company called Bogmil. However, Bogmil is nowhere registered officially as a company. It's just one of those "virtual" companies.

My question to you is: can I make a letterhead of Bogmil, put my host-parent's address as company address, put my home phone as company phone and just somewhere in bottom write "Bogmil is part of Bastor, Serbia". Is that legal? Can I, with that argument, make a legal contract here, in the United States? Same thing with business cards

Also, what is of utmost importance: can I use my individual Bank of America account (not a business one) for doing business? Note that 99% of my clients are NOT from the US and the money I get is via wire transfer. Also note that sometimes, as a broker, I would get 10,000$ and then forward that money next day to another bank account.

So, would I have any troubles with the IRS? Do I have to file any taxes? Is my business legal? Can I do it?

Thank you VERY, VERY much!

Regards,
Bo

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State - partly

Hi,

Please read everything I wrote carefully, this is very important and details matter. I do feel bad for registering on this forum and for that my first post is a question, not advice.

I am an international exchange student, currently located in the United States, on J-1 visa (thus, not an U.S. citizen) According to my visa, I am not allowed to work while in the US. Therefore, I cannot have Social Security Number. However, I am able to obtain Tax Identification Number, and I have recently applied for one.

My company is established in Serbia (my home country). It is a marketing company. Its name is Bastor.

When I came to the United States, I wanted to start doing website brokering business. Therefore, I "kinda established" a new company called Bogmil. However, Bogmil is nowhere registered officially as a company. It's just one of those "virtual" companies.

My question to you is: can I make a letterhead of Bogmil, put my host-parent's address as company address, put my home phone as company phone and just somewhere in bottom write "Bogmil is part of Bastor, Serbia". Is that legal? Can I, with that argument, make a legal contract here, in the United States? Same thing with business cards

Also, what is of utmost importance: can I use my individual Bank of America account (not a business one) for doing business? Note that 99% of my clients are NOT from the US and the money I get is via wire transfer. Also note that sometimes, as a broker, I would get 10,000$ and then forward that money next day to another bank account.

So, would I have any troubles with the IRS? Do I have to file any taxes? Is my business legal? Can I do it?

Thank you VERY, VERY much!

Regards,
Bo

Yes you would have troubles with the IRS - can you say tax evasion??? No your business is not legal. If do this you are risking your ability to stay in the country legally.

Bank of America will shut your account down if they see the international activity in a personal account that does not look to personal in nature and for a valid reason.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">