• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal to Leave Flyers on Peoples Door Steps? On Mailboxes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jetacle

I started a online community forum for my community and to get people to start using the site I was thinking about leaving small half sheet flyers on peoples' door steps. Is this legal? Do I need to contact the Home Owner's Association before I do something like this? I've gotten many flyers on my door steps personally, but just want to be sure of things before I proceed. Also is it legal to tape flyers onto mailboxes (not stuffing them into people's mailboxes). Thanks in advance guys!

*apologies in advance if I posted this in the wrong section. This was the closest one relating to my topic I could find.

justalayman

I was thinking about leaving small half sheet flyers on peoples' door steps.
ya mean like the litter that blows across the street from the megagiantbigasswehaveanything mart, which is also illegal?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I started a online community forum for my community and to get people to start using the site I was thinking about leaving small half sheet flyers on peoples' door steps. Is this legal? Do I need to contact the Home Owner's Association before I do something like this? I've gotten many flyers on my door steps personally, but just want to be sure of things before I proceed. Also is it legal to tape flyers onto mailboxes (not stuffing them into people's mailboxes). Thanks in advance guys!

*apologies in advance if I posted this in the wrong section. This was the closest one relating to my topic I could find.
People who spam my home, car or mailbox don't get my business. :cool:

CdwJava

Different states have different laws on this. Your city or county might also have ordinances governing the distribution of flyers. And if this is a gated community, you may find yourself in violation of the HOA rules for distributing flyers without permission, too.

In my city these folks have to pay a fee to get a license before they can distribute flyers for commercial activity. I have heard that in some communities they require that the flyers be designed to attach to door handles and the like so that they are NOT free to blow around.

And stay away from mailboxes - there can be criminal repercussions for putting things in those.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">