• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal monopolies for energy companies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2 Legit

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone knows about local, state, and federal laws that allow energy companies to operate as a monopoly? I understand that these laws are beneficial for the consumer because it allows for economies of scale, however, I feel that it hinders the growth of new energy developments. Thank you for your time!

justalayman

Most areas do not allow monopolies any longer. Many states have changed their laws to allow other providers to sell to customers and actuslly demand the utility whose infrastructure is in place to allow the other utility providers to utilize their infrastructure.

In my area I can buy natural gas from any provider wiling to sell it to me and electricity from any electricity producer willing to sell to me. The delivery would be through the same pipes or wires the previous monopoly company installed.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">