• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is It Legal to Open a Business in New York That Delivers Cigarettes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brandonmw

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Someone wants me to partner with them to deliver cigarettes, restaurant food, and anything you may want picked up/dropped off. My first question: Is it even legal to deliver cigarettes (and/or) alcohol in NY? 2nd question: What licenses would be required to be able to do all of these things? She claims it is legal and no licenses are required and she's already been doing aforementioned business for awhile, but I find that impossible to believe, there's no way it's legal AND you don't need a license to distribute tobacco & alcohol.

Thanks in advance for any help.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Someone wants me to partner with them to deliver cigarettes, restaurant food, and anything you may want picked up/dropped off. My first question: Is it even legal to deliver cigarettes (and/or) alcohol in NY? 2nd question: What licenses would be required to be able to do all of these things? She claims it is legal and no licenses are required and she's already been doing aforementioned business for awhile, but I find that impossible to believe, there's no way it's legal AND you don't need a license to distribute tobacco & alcohol.

Thanks in advance for any help.
You are smart to be wary of jumping into any business like this without knowing the laws and the licenses required for such an operation - and, despite your friend's claims to the contrary, there are several.

I suggest you (with or without your partner-to-be) sit down with a business professional in New York, first, and then a business law professional, second, to learn a bit about operating a business of the sort your friend is already operating. I definitely advise against you joining your friend in this venture without arming yourself with greater knowledge.

FlyingRon

It is indeed illegal under New York State Law. Delivery of tobacco products is only allowed to retail establishments licensed to sell them. There are tons of requirements on those establishments for posting of signs, keeping tobacco products out of reach/view of minors, etc...

quincy

It is indeed illegal under New York State Law. Delivery of tobacco products is only allowed to retail establishments licensed to sell them. There are tons of requirements on those establishments for posting of signs, keeping tobacco products out of reach/view of minors, etc...
And the alcohol laws (if one wants to take the time to wade through and try to decipher the ABC laws in New York) are even more restrictive than tobacco sales.

(shouting out to HighwayMan in Argentina for some help here :))

quincy

Alright, appreciate all the help FA, I'll be visiting these forums more regularly.
Your appreciation of our efforts is appreciated, brandonmw. With luck, though, you will not have too many additional legal concerns.

Good luck with any delivery service you decide to start, if you decide to start one after our caveats about what you can and cannot deliver. :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">