• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal partnership breakup

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Digital

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Me and my partner have decided to end our partnership relationship. We established an LLC less than a year ago. The articles of organization state that we were both owners.

My question is, how do I transfer the whole business to my name so that I am the only owner (sole proprietor).

Someone told me that all I need to do is send an Ammendment stating that I am removing him from our partnership....this does sound correct!!

Someone else told me that I need to change the Resident Agent form so that only I appear. Because everything else is all under my name, my home address and my ss#.

In the bank they told me that we both need to go there so that he can sign a document stating that he is not part of the bank account anymore. Also, they said it might be a good idea to write a resignation letter with his signature.

Can someone please guide me in the right direction, thank you.

davew128

What does your operating agreement say about transferring ownership, removal of a member, and transfer of membership interest?

Digital

answer

We never actually signed or even had an Operating Agreement! We just registered the trade name, and the articles of organization in the state of MD

tranquility

Don't do it that way next time as this time you're going to need an attorney to unwind everything. It's going to be expensive if the other party disagrees.

Digital

But my partner is writting a letter of resignation, shouldn't this be enough to cancel everything. I can submit it with an ammendment right?

tranquility

While the *potential* problems lessen if the other party agrees, under your facts, I'd see an attorney. Sorry, but no other advice is possible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">