• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Questions -

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hazelm

Not sure if this was posted because computer crashed. I live in Wisconsin.

Due to downsizing, I was let go in December. Right now, I am starting a new computer consulting business. I have been helping out at the local computer store in town as sort of an independent contractor. A few weeks ago, I was sent to the local doctor for a networking job. Jackie, the manager, told me she would hire me, but she needed approval. In the mean time, we did a few networking jobs for her. She also wanted a contract to view, which the computer store and I drafted up a network service contract and emergency network contract.

Recently, we checked on the status on the contract. Jackie told me nothing was approved yet on Tuesday. Today, Thursday, I was told by the local computer store, that the contract was not approved, because supposedly I had a back bill from over 4 years ago. She told him the bill was $168.00 and from 1996. Also, it was in collection status and was written off as a bad debt. (Right now, I am waiting a respsonse from my insurance company about this.) Jackie told the local computer store, that she would have hired me because I was a woman business owner. However, the doctor's office would not give me a chance.

The computer store told me that the doctor's office do not want me to call or contact them regarding this bill either because the doctor's said it is out of their hands. The doctor's said nothing would change their mind about this matter.

My questions:

1) Assuming my insurance company did not pay for this claim, what should I do? I have no idea where to send payment or anything else.

2) I am just starting my own business. This could damage my business totally. This is my first job as a business. This is a small community. Wasn't this information confidential? Can they tell other people also about this?

3)The doctor's office is all male. The doctor actually setup the network.

Thanks for your help.

Unsure

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hazelm:
Not sure if this was posted because computer crashed. I live in Wisconsin.

Due to downsizing, I was let go in December. Right now, I am starting a new computer consulting business. I have been helping out at the local computer store in town as sort of an independent contractor. A few weeks ago, I was sent to the local doctor for a networking job. Jackie, the manager, told me she would hire me, but she needed approval. In the mean time, we did a few networking jobs for her. She also wanted a contract to view, which the computer store and I drafted up a network service contract and emergency network contract.

Recently, we checked on the status on the contract. Jackie told me nothing was approved yet on Tuesday. Today, Thursday, I was told by the local computer store, that the contract was not approved, because supposedly I had a back bill from over 4 years ago. She told him the bill was $168.00 and from 1996. Also, it was in collection status and was written off as a bad debt. (Right now, I am waiting a respsonse from my insurance company about this.) Jackie told the local computer store, that she would have hired me because I was a woman business owner. However, the doctor's office would not give me a chance.

The computer store told me that the doctor's office do not want me to call or contact them regarding this bill either because the doctor's said it is out of their hands. The doctor's said nothing would change their mind about this matter.

My questions:

1) Assuming my insurance company did not pay for this claim, what should I do? I have no idea where to send payment or anything else.

2) I am just starting my own business. This could damage my business totally. This is my first job as a business. This is a small community. Wasn't this information confidential? Can they tell other people also about this?

3)The doctor's office is all male. The doctor actually setup the network.

Thanks for your help.

Unsure

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

!. You do know where to send payment to; it is the doctors office that rendered you services. You are under no obligation to talk to or pay the collection agency.

2. The information that you did not pay your bill is confidential and should have only been discussed bewteen the Drs. office and yourself, and should not have involved the third party computer store.

3. Why does the all male issue matter? Are you hinting gender discrimination? The office can not be all male if there ia a female Manager there named Jackie.

H

hazelm

1) The doctors office said they wouldn't accept payment except through collection agency. They told that to the computer store.

2) What can be done since they told the computer store about this bill? Is this a breach of confidentiality?

thanks

JETX

Let's step back from the issue for a second and take another look:

1) Do you want to pay this old bill? If so, send the doctor a certified letter advising him/her that you just became aware that the insurance company failed to pay it. Send a check. Let the doctor decide whether to cash it or not (if he doesn't cash the check, the debt is waived). If you do not want to pay it, then don't. The time has probably far expired. You will have a hit on your credit report, you decide if that is important to you.

2) As for the 'breach of confidentiality': maybe. If it is, what are you going to do? Can you show how this 'breach' damaged you and the value of the damage? Probably not worth the cost and agravation.

Decide how you want to handle these "Life's Irritations" and move on.

------------------
Steve Halket
Judgment Recovery of Houston
[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">