• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legality of using another company name in my advertising

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ABCprintDesign

What is the name of your state? Florida

I worked at a printing company for about 5 months. I quit about a month ago and have since started my business which I operated out of other states and since moving to Florida never started up until now. I made shirts mugs rubber stamps etc. Now I have also added business cards to my already existing line of products. My question is on my postcards I have noted that: "Anna formerly of Business Card Mania has now branched out on her own. No design fees on any artwork previously done at Business card Mania that we recreate. Cheaper Prices, Better Quality, Great Service" ....

That is the exact wording I used. Other stuff is printed about our products.

Is it legal for me to use the above phrase or can I be sued?

Anna
Anna's Business Card Printing & Personalization

PepperLegal

Anna,

You need to be VERY careful when comparing your products or services to another company's in advertising. The law requires that you be able to completely back up any claim by clear, OBJECTIVE evidence. So if you're going to claim better quality, you fall into a potentially subjective area which can be very difficult to substantiate.

Remember, you can always be sued, whether or not the claim is valid or not. The question is whether the lawsuit has merit. If your former employer sees a drop in business as a result of your advertising in the manner you described, you should certainly expect to hear from them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">