• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legally possible for a minor to found and head a nonprofit corporation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KatLW

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have the drive, time, and motivation to do all of the forms (I have done research -- I know it is a lot of work) and other necessary legal work properly and completely. Would it be possible for me to found and act as president of a nonprofit corporation, perhaps if my parents also sign off of everything to consent to me being in these positions and to promise that they will take full legal responsibility (I know that someone under 18 cannot themselves be held to most contracts)?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have the drive, time, and motivation to do all of the forms (I have done research -- I know it is a lot of work) and other necessary legal work properly and completely. Would it be possible for me to found and act as president of a nonprofit corporation, perhaps if my parents also sign off of everything to consent to me being in these positions and to promise that they will take full legal responsibility (I know that someone under 18 cannot themselves be held to most contracts)?
You cannot act as president of this entity until you are of legal age.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">