• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legally protecting a business idea

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SMUboi

What is the name of your state? TEXAS

Hi, I am in the process of writing a business plan for my new business idea. The idea combines two types of retail business into one incorporated idea. The idea isn't two stores in one retail unit, but is a combination of two retail ideas incorporated into one potential cash cow business unit. I haven't seen any retail businesses remotely similar to my idea.

Besides using the confidentiality agreement while seeking potential investors, brokers, and lawyers for my idea. Is there some way to protect my business idea from competition?

Thanks.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

No. You can't copyright an idea. You either use your confidentiality agreement, or you keep it all secret, known only to yourself.

IAAL

JETX

How about giving us all the details... and we will tell you if it is copyright- or trademark-able.

S

SMUboi

Thank you IAAL.
Since I have a clearer picture about how I should approach people while getting estimates for the idea. I'll most likely approach a specialized lawyer before I find investors and/or start the business myself. Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">