• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability for Small Pet Business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hartselll

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I was planning to start a small business out of my home. I plan to sell low-cost dewormer, heartworm preventative and vaccines to hound owners. I also plan to carry a small inventory of hound supplies. It is legal in the state of VA to buy dog wormer and vaccines OTC and not through a vet. What is my liability if someone's hound became sick -- not necessarily because of the wormer/vaccine - but the owner held me responsible. Does the liability change if the owner purchased the meds from me and administered himself, or if I administered directly to his hound ? Would a waiver/release of liability signed by the hound owner be enough ?

Thanks very much!

racer72

If you don't know the answers to your questions, you are not ready to start your own business. Go get a job in the industry, learn all you can then consider starting your own business. 50% of all new start ups fail in the first year, 90% in 5. The most common reason for the business failure was lack of knowledge about things such as taxes, insurance and laws regulating the business. If you are really insistant on starting your business, spend some money and talk to a product liability attorney for a few hours. Take some time and talk to insurance agent about potential coverages you will need to protect you, in todays society, anything less than 5 to 10 million in coverage is inadequate. Take some classes at a local business or community college, focus on the paperwork side of running a small business. Do you want to incorporate, start an LLC, or possibly take on a business partner? Talk to and consider hiring an accountant, he/she can point out many things you would never think of. Doing the above will give your new business a slight advantage, do none of it and I will guarantee you will fail, often with catastrophic financial losses.

Last edited:

hartselll

Thanks so much for the advice. I've been researching endlessly, but you're right - I need to sit down and talk with the professionals to address all of the aspects of running a small business. I have an appt with my insurance agent, but I will be sure to consult a lawyer and accountant.

Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">