• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

License for an internet store

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Adele Caelia

What is the name of your state? Missouri, city? Wentzville

I just opened a store through a site called www.cafepress.com and I was wondering if since it is an internet only shop if I need a business license for it? I called the state and they said ask your city, but really didn't seem like they knew what I was asking, and then I emailed the city and they didn't respond, so then I emailed the missouri business center and they just sent me directions on how to register for a business license. So does anyone know if I need one for an internet store?

Thanks,

Judy Williams

Last edited:

seniorjudge

I think you need a city merchant's license and I think you need to talk with the Department of Revenue about the sales tax you will be collecting.

Adele Caelia

Thanks:) Is a city merchant license different than a business license? When I opened the store on Cafepress they asked for my social and address and all that for tax purposes. They also apply sales tax to the orders.

Also I do not handle any merchandise or ever see it. Cafepress ships and and creates all merchandise. I just create designs to put on the shirts with photoshop and then upload them to their website with a mark up on the products for my design. They keep the base price and I earn whatever the markup was. So I never actually handle any product.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">