• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Licensing & marketing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jmonkey

Hi, I live in Richmond, Va. and I want to bring to market a product(s) bearing the likeness(es) of characters owned by Universal Studios. How does one even begin to obtain permission for such a thing? And what does it entail? Thanks.

JETX

Basically, you have two choices:

1) Proceed with your product and have the strong probability of a large corporation (read lotsa lawyers) contact you with a cease and desist and possibly take your profits, or
2) Contact Universal Studios and ask them to put you in touch with their licensing folks and try to get an agreement to use their product.

However, I must point out that they will probably not be too enthusiastic about allowing any use of their registered products. Either that, or it will take some major bucks and royalties. But, certainly no harm talking with them.

------------------
Steve Halket
Judgment Recovery of Houston
[email protected]
-----------------------
This is my PERSONAL OPINION and is not legal advice! Consult your local attorney for your specific situation and laws!

J

jmonkey

Thank you for your advice.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Halket:
Basically, you have two choices:

1) Proceed with your product and have the strong probability of a large corporation (read lotsa lawyers) contact you with a cease and desist and possibly take your profits, or
2) Contact Universal Studios and ask them to put you in touch with their licensing folks and try to get an agreement to use their product.

However, I must point out that they will probably not be too enthusiastic about allowing any use of their registered products. Either that, or it will take some major bucks and royalties. But, certainly no harm talking with them.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">