• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liquor Store Laws & Regulations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MarcusR

What is the name of your state? California

Okay, I have looked everywhere for the answer to these questions and I cannot find it. I have even looked at the ABC Act, but I do not trust my legal comprehension. If anyone could help me with these questions it would be greatly appreciated.

1. Does California require a minimum price on alcohol?
  2. Does California allow the centralized warehousing of alcohol?
  3. Does California allow alcohol to go on sale? (XX% off, buy X get Y free, etc)
  4. Does California allow the delivery of alcohol to the home if legal age is verified at time of delivery?
  5. Does California allow non-alcoholic merchandise to be sold in liquor stores? (shot glasses, red bull, etc)
What is the name of your state?

quincy

California's ABC Act is so extensive that it would be wise for you to check with the State to get the specific answers you are requesting.

The Business and Professional Code Section 25605 seems, for instance, to indicate that home delivery of alcohol is allowed in California if the age of the purchaser is verified at the time of delivery, but I am aware that different states have different regulations regarding this, so while home delivery in California may be OK it may not be OK to deliver alcohol from California to another state, even with age verification. There are just too many exceptions and conditions to consider to give you simple and/or complete answers to your questions.

MarcusR

The reason why I ask is because I am considering buying a liquor store. Right now I am evaluating several states, so am just trying to get a general understanding of laws in various states. Once I narrow down the states and business, then I will hire a lawyer specializing in this law.

CourtClerk

Seeing as if I have a pre teenaged son, I visit the market kind of regularly sometimes to purchase alcohol :) Be advised... these are NOT legal answers, just my experience at the market.

What is the name of your state? California

Okay, I have looked everywhere for the answer to these questions and I cannot find it. I have even looked at the ABC Act, but I do not trust my legal comprehension. If anyone could help me with these questions it would be greatly appreciated.

1. Does California require a minimum price on alcohol?

I seem to remember a store manager telling me that he was not allowed to sell liquor below a certain price because of some regulation. We were attempting to buy a large quantity for a function.
  2. Does California allow the centralized warehousing of alcohol?

No answer for that one, sorry.
  3. Does California allow alcohol to go on sale? (XX% off, buy X get Y free, etc)

I've bought liquor on sale before....
  4. Does California allow the delivery of alcohol to the home if legal age is verified at time of delivery?

No answer...
  5. Does California allow non-alcoholic merchandise to be sold in liquor stores? (shot glasses, red bull, etc)

We often go to this store that sells all kinds of liquor and non alcoholic merchandise together... think BevMo or Beverage Warehouse. They sell everything from beers and wines, hard liquor, mixers, chasers, shot glasses, ******i glasses, all of the glasses, including olives, cherries if you need to to make a drink... they sell it. All of these are well regulated and I'm guessing inspected on a regular basis, which would lead me to believe that you can sell these items.
What is the name of your state?

Good luck to you.

quincy

You are wise to investigate these matters before investing in a store. But you have quite the job ahead of you!

Michigan is a good place to invest in, by the way. We drink a lot here :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">