• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LLC advice needed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Keeny

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I started a business 3 and half years ago operating as a sole proprietorship and assumed name. Embarrassingly I started with no money saved up, some acquired credit card debt, and no business plan. To make a long story short I used credit cards, cashed in IRA Roth, to keep me going the first two years. But last winter I hit a slow period that I couldn’t recover from and had to visit a bankruptcy lawyer.

I paid the lawyer in full last January but again to get to the point I continued doing business under my assumed name until September. My lawyer advised me to close down the business at this point. The thing is that I have been swamped with work from March to the current date off of referrals from word of mouth of past customers. So my lawyer advised me to do business under a different name.

The new business I want to start will focus on one of aspect my trade. It is what I specialize in and there is a great opportunity for profit there, more so then what I am currently doing. However until I make more of a name for myself in that area I will continue doing the work that continues to come in from referrals. The business structure that makes the most sense to me for what I want to do is an LLC. But in reading different books and doing searchs online I am still unsure whether one person can start an LLC without any other members?

One thing I will need to have is Liability insurance for my business. After bankruptcy it will be near impossible to get insured is what I have gathered from speaking with insurance agents. So I need to press forward now with starting up my new business.

I’ve done a search with the Secretary of State for the name I have chosen but haven’t filed the form yet. My concern is will my Articles of Organization for a Limited Liability Company be accepted with my circumstances? And what other problems can I expect to encounter?

oldman9

I am still unsure whether one person can start an LLC without any other members?
Most states now allow single-member LLCs. Check with yours.

My concern is will my Articles of Organization for a Limited Liability Company be accepted with my circumstances?
Personal bankruptcy should not prevent one from forming an LLC.

And what other problems can I expect to encounter?
For one, getting corporate credit (using your personal credit history) will be difficult.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">