• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LLC capital account and ownership question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bartleby

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? UT (Business owner is in NJ)

I have been reading up on my question over the last couple of days and have learned a lot, but I can't find a definitive answer to my question.

I developed a software a few years ago and was approached by a startup to acquire the software. We have come to an agreed upon amount for the software - $20K upfront and 9% of the business ($180,000 in value or $20K per 1%). He came to this number by valuating the business at $2 million, which doesn't make sense to me since he has no customers or revenues yet... The business is an LLC and is just getting off the ground. Today the owner told me I would be a "silent partner" and would not be entitled to any distributions (profit or loss) until the business was transferred to a corporation.

When I responded that I would only accept a normal 9% ownership (with normal distributions) he stated I would be responsible for 9% of all future cash generation for the business if necessary.

Based on my understanding, my capital account would start at $180,000 with 9% ownership. I believe he has invested around $50K of his own money, which based on my understanding would put his capital account at $50,000 with 91% ownership.

If cash does need to be generated in the future and he puts his own money in would that deplete my capital account by my percentage? (i.e. he puts in an additional $50,000, which in turn puts a $4,500 debit against my $180K) If this is the case then wouldn't I also receive that 9% as a loss on my K1?

If this is not the case, then would he have to make up the difference in capital accounts effectively requiring him to influx up to 91% of the invested cash into the business before it begins to negatively impact my capital account?

It seems strange if I have invested so much more "capital" that I would be impacted negatively by any cash invested by him.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I suggest that you seek the assistance of a CPA. Yours is not a legal question.

LdiJ

I suggest that you seek the assistance of a CPA. Yours is not a legal question.
Actually, while talking to a CPA could never hurt, I really think that the OP needs to be talking to an attorney. Either the OP doesn't understand the potential contract well enough to explain it here, or there is something a little hinky going on...at least in my opinion.

bartleby

Actually, while talking to a CPA could never hurt, I really think that the OP needs to be talking to an attorney. Either the OP doesn't understand the potential contract well enough to explain it here, or there is something a little hinky going on...at least in my opinion.
"Hinky" is a great word for it. I have had a very difficult time working with this gentleman since he always seems to be trying to "slip one by me". My issue is I don't have any extra cash to spend on talking to a lawyer right now, so I was hoping someone could help me out so I don't make a potentially big mistake.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
"Hinky" is a great word for it. I have had a very difficult time working with this gentleman since he always seems to be trying to "slip one by me". My issue is I don't have any extra cash to spend on talking to a lawyer right now, so I was hoping someone could help me out so I don't make a potentially big mistake.
As you are asking about contractual matters, you would be better served by an attorney. Nobody on this forum is able to give specific contract review and advice. Sorry.

tranquility

You cannot just "valuate" a business in regards to the capital account. The capital account is a calculation based on things like contribution, profit/loss and other factors. If a person dreams his company is worth $1 million and pays 10% of the ownership rights to another for something, the other does not get a capital account of $100K.

LdiJ

You cannot just "valuate" a business in regards to the capital account. The capital account is a calculation based on things like contribution, profit/loss and other factors. If a person dreams his company is worth $1 million and pays 10% of the ownership rights to another for something, the other does not get a capital account of $100K.
Yes, of course there is that issue as well. However, I suspect that the other party wants the OP to contribute the "value" of the software as "paid in capital" rather than being paid for the use of the software.

The fact that the other party doesn't want to set up the corporation right from the get go, with the OP having a certain percentage of shares, is what makes me nervous. I wouldn't even come close to doing a deal with this guy unless everything was completely on the up and up from day one, and that is going to require the OP getting an attorney to review and maybe even write the contract.

davew128

I also think there's a disconnect here between capital ownership and profit and loss ownership. Tranquility is absolutely right in describing capital accounts, but I would never accept this guys valuation number at face value with an actual independent appraisal being done. I'd also be VERY uncomfortable with such a substantial difference between value and basis (and the need to keep separate book and tax capital accounts as a result).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">