• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LLC or Land Trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Peewee10

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I have 2 rental properties and plan to buy several more (townhouses and condos). Currently they are in my name.

Where should I put these? Should I throw everything into a trust or create a seperate LLC for each property?

Looking for protection from lawsuits, tax advantages, etc - also want to keep reporting and paperwork at a minimum.

Thanks

Last edited:

P

pk_usf

LLC or Trust

Were you able to get your answer some where. I have similar problem. I was told to start a company (LLC) and buy property under that name.

Is it true then , that your properties won't show up under your credit.?

Also I have question my sisterm wants me to help her buy a home. I have to put my name on the morgtage for her to qualify. THe mortgage company tells me that I can have her pay me mortgage as rent, and show that as rental income, so this won't affect my finany capability for more homes and town house.

C

chrissie

PeeWee,

Setting up separate LLCs for each property is a good idea--that way, if a problem (claim, lawsuit, etc.) arises from one property, it won't affect the other.

Here's a link to an article about holding property in an LLC:

http://www.mynewventure.com/?show=RealEstateLLC

To PK:

Don't take financial/legal advice from a mortgage company. The broker wants to make his commission by closing the deal, so he has a vested interest in telling you anything to get you to sign on the dotted line.

Just a thought: If your sister's credit history is risky to the point that she cannot qualify for a mortgage herself, I question your judgment in assuming such a huge financial obligation on her behalf. What if something happens and she does not pay the mortgage. Are you willing to risk your financial future?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">