• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LLC or nonprofits in TX

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jasonb

What is the name of your state? TX

I currently run a website that I started to allow venting at a certain large corporation. Due to the nature of the website and the company it talks about, I'm a bit concerned about a libel suit or some kind of lawsuit over proprietary info.

I don't really make any money off of the website other than a couple hundred dollars a year in donations. To protect myself from liability, would it be worth it to start an LLC or perhaps even non-profit org or would that be more trouble than it's worth?

Also, could someone tell me or give me a link to the general procedures for starting an LLC or non-profit in Texas?

divgradcurl

What is the name of your state? TX

I currently run a website that I started to allow venting at a certain large corporation. Due to the nature of the website and the company it talks about, I'm a bit concerned about a libel suit or some kind of lawsuit over proprietary info.

I don't really make any money off of the website other than a couple hundred dollars a year in donations. To protect myself from liability, would it be worth it to start an LLC or perhaps even non-profit org or would that be more trouble than it's worth?

Also, could someone tell me or give me a link to the general procedures for starting an LLC or non-profit in Texas?
Unless you are actually going to run the LLC as a real business, where you purchase insurance or otherwise transfer assets to the LLC to pay off any potential lawsuits, the LLC will provide you with no protection. Starting an LLC in this case only makes sense if you are also going to be purchasing insurance or funding the LLC, otherwise the LLC will only provide limited or no protection in your case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">