• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LLC - remove agent, transfer LLC to another state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LeisureSuit

I have an LLC in Wisconsin (where I used to live). When I decided to move to Texas, my accountant told me to add my brother's name as an agent (he also lives in Wisconsin). My brother gave me permission.

Anyway, I have recently learned that this wasn't a good idea, and now I would like to remove my brother and transfer the LLC to Texas.

My fault for not researching this before moving.

Funds are low so I'm looking for the proper forms or path to rectify this issue.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

I have an LLC in Wisconsin (where I used to live). When I decided to move to Texas, my accountant told me to add my brother's name as an agent (he also lives in Wisconsin). My brother gave me permission.

Anyway, I have recently learned that this wasn't a good idea, and now I would like to remove my brother and transfer the LLC to Texas.

My fault for not researching this before moving.

Funds are low so I'm looking for the proper forms or path to rectify this issue.
**A: form a new LLC in Texas.

LeisureSuit

**A: form a new LLC in Texas.

Thank you for the help. More questions:

Before forming a new LLC in Texas...

Do I need to allow the Wisconsin LLC to expire first, or

should I inform Wisconsin that I would like to terminate the LLC?

I still owe taxas so maybe I can't do anything before catching up. Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

harmonsmith

What you should do is create a new LLC (with the same name) in the other state. This is because your business has to be registered in and comply with the rules and regulations of the state it is located in.

Once you have the new LLC up and running contact the Secretary of State for the state of the old LLC and find out how you can terminate the old LLC. (Do this to avoid any state tax you can also complications.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">