• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LLC to S-Corp

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stretch361

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Hello,

I currently have an LLC that is in my name only. I also have an assumed name setup under the LLC. Doing taxes this year, my accountant strongly suggested that I create an S-Corp for these companies for the tax breaks. Reading more into S-Corps, I believe this would be a good option not only for this, but to sell shares in the company. I've heard of cases where you can make an LLC be taxed by the IRS as an S-Corp, but I don't want to do this route.

The question I have is what's the best method to do this? I would like the assumed name I currently have to be the S-Corp name with Inc. on the end. However, I can't just create an S-Corp, since the name has been taken (by my LLC). How do I create an S-Corp, under the assumed name, and transfer all the assets of the LLC to the S-Corp?

Thanks,

Chris Potter
Customer Service Manager
Potter's Gifts

Potter's Gifts - Gifts for everyone!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

Please do not advertise your business here.

For Federal income tax purposes, S corps and LLC are the same. The income is passed through and taxed as if you earned it directly. The major difference, is in the case of an S corp you can avoid self-employement tax on some of the money.

Michigan has rather unfavorable treatment of S corps with respect to LLC's for.

There's nothing that you can do that makes the IRS treat the LLC as if it were an S corp or mutate one into another. You'll need to research what your state requires. Often, you'll have to disolve one and create the other.

You should consult an attorney/accountant to figure out what all the tax and state implications are.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">