• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LLC's and Corp's

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bguide

I run a website from my home and I want to apply for a LLC in the name of the website. That part is easy. My problem is this... I just had a book published. The book is published with me as the author and sponsored by the website. What do I need to do to make sure the book falls under the company? If anyone sues for the website or book, I want them to sue the company, not me. Is it just a matter of reporting book profits on Schedule C under the company name or do I have to write something up and if so, what?
Thank you

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bguide:
I run a website from my home and I want to apply for a LLC in the name of the website. That part is easy. My problem is this... I just had a book published. The book is published with me as the author and sponsored by the website. What do I need to do to make sure the book falls under the company? If anyone sues for the website or book, I want them to sue the company, not me. Is it just a matter of reporting book profits on Schedule C under the company name or do I have to write something up and if so, what?
Thank you
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are too many issues to deal with here. A corporation will afford you some protection if the website and book is owned by the corporation. You will not have corporate protection if someone filed a suit against you personally as the indivdual author of the book. Anyone can sue the owner of the website, the hosting ISP, the book publisher, author, credit card service etc. Hire an attorney to advise you accordingly. There are books on this very subject ie. website sales/liability, eccommerce, new economy etc. that you can buy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">