• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

loan for car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MTNPS

We lent our daughter's then, fiance money to buy a car, we set up payment arrangements with him for repayment, etc. a computerized schedule of weekly payments. We also took him with us on an expensive vacation with the promise from him to pay us for it. He is 27 weeks behind in his car payments, and by the way they are scattered payments, by this I mean he has not paid them consistantly. He has not paid us for the vacation. We sent him a letter requesting him to sign over title to the car to us, and give us the travel voucher he received after our vacation (we were each given a voucher for a bumped flight, we also paid for the flight.)We told him if he did that we would consider his debt to us paid in full, mind you this settlement would be less than he actualy owes us, but we wanted to be fair since he has no money, and we really did not want to take the matter to court. This has become a very sticky situation since he and my daughter are no longer together. We feel he has no intention of repaying us. He was supposed to sign the payment schedule as sort of a contract but he never did, a mistake on our part I'm sure. Do we have any legal rights in this matter. We reside in PA.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MTNPS:
We lent our daughter's then, fiance money to buy a car, we set up payment arrangements with him for repayment, etc. a computerized schedule of weekly payments. We also took him with us on an expensive vacation with the promise from him to pay us for it. He is 27 weeks behind in his car payments, and by the way they are scattered payments, by this I mean he has not paid them consistantly. He has not paid us for the vacation. We sent him a letter requesting him to sign over title to the car to us, and give us the travel voucher he received after our vacation (we were each given a voucher for a bumped flight, we also paid for the flight.)We told him if he did that we would consider his debt to us paid in full, mind you this settlement would be less than he actualy owes us, but we wanted to be fair since he has no money, and we really did not want to take the matter to court. This has become a very sticky situation since he and my daughter are no longer together. We feel he has no intention of repaying us. He was supposed to sign the payment schedule as sort of a contract but he never did, a mistake on our part I'm sure. Do we have any legal rights in this matter. We reside in PA. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

You can try suing him; however, he'll just claim that it was either an unconditional gift, or an unconditional gift to him in anticipation of a marriage between him and daughter. It's the typical he said, she said, routine. The "contract" is of no value since it was never signed or acknowledged. However, THERE IS ONE saving grace for you . . . IF he made any of those payments by check, then you can get copies of those from his bank, or your bank if they made microfiche copies, and present those as your evidence that he knew the car price was a loan, and not a gift. If he made the payments by cash, you're SOL.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">